As a small business owner, I wear a lot of hats — as we all do. My challenge has always been switching smoothly from the excitement and anxiety of meeting with prospective clients and writing quotes to the calm focus of project work.
While struggling to make the switch a few days ago, I asked around on various media to see what other entrepreneurs do. I was pretty sure I wasn’t the only one who got stuck sometimes.
I was right. Here are some of the tricks people use:
- Assigning blocks of time for specific tasks
- Making a game out of completing a task within a given time frame
- Do something completely not work related, like taking a shower, to delineate between busy work and focused work time
- Looking at how many invoices could be generated, if only you could get moving on those projects
- Leaving your usual work space and finding a new environment
- Going to a cafe where there are lots of people diligently working away
- Take a break and go for a long walk (or yoga class)
- Making a meal or snack
- Getting over yourself and just doing it already
- Spending a predetermined amount of time on Facebook or Pinterest
- Taking a nap
Thanks to everyone who offered their tips and tricks. I really appreciate it (and will even be using some of them myself!)
Do you use a trick that isn’t included in the list? Please share in the comments!